Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 29th March 2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Ben

Smile Blue Tits nesting

Just noticed a pair of Blue Tits pulling at the moss in my garden then flying to the nest box on the garage, obviously building a nest.Just hope everthing goes alright for them and they produce a family, this will be the fourth year if they do.
Anyone else have birds nesting yet,
Ben.
Ben is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 07:18 PM   #2
gazza

Thats class mate iv got a pair of blackbirds nesting in my conifer and a pair of Blue Tits in my privet
gazza is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Amy B

Ive seen Blackbirds picking up twigs in my garden, and flying into a conifer, but ive not noticed many other birds nesting yet . . .
Amy B is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2006, 01:52 PM   #4
JoM

There's been quite a lot of interest in our small nest boxes, but the really obvious nest builders in our garden at the moment are the crows & the magpies. They've been flying about carrying huge heaps of twigs!
JoM is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Mobee

Default Nest builders.

I have bluetits in a nest box, this will be their 8th year, also gathering nest material are blackbirds and magpies (dont like them but I shouldnt say that coming from this part of the country!) and I have a pair of robins I hope they are successful this year. There was a pair a couple of years ago but next doors cat got one of them grrrr.
Mobee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Barbara Jane

I live in southwest France and have two blue tits in my garden who are (like Ben) pulling at moss and stuffing it through the nesting box. I have peeped in once or twice (throught the front door) to see what is happening but since then all has stopped. Did I do the wrong thing or are they just taking a rest?
Barbara Jane is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Mobee

Are your Bluetits still around? Its possible one may have been taken by a predator but it is most likely that your interest in their nest has frightened them. I only observe my nest from a distance, at first the birds wont enter the box when I am around but when they are feeding young they become more daring, probably too busy to wait for me to go.
Mobee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Barbara Jane

Angry

Yes there was one sitting on the outside of the box this morning but it didn't go inside. Guess I was too impatient and not able to resist the temptation of looking inside, or as you say could be a predator. I will keep away and keep watch with the glasses from a distance and come back with some good news soon I hope.
Barbara Jane is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2006, 04:26 PM   #9
NotQuiteBlackCoot

There's a definite pair of blue tits visiting our garden many times a day. Haven't seen them nest building though, too busy stuffing their little faces, mainly wirth mealworms, then sunflower hearts or fat for a change. For the last few weeks there's been a pair of robins & coal tits, but only one of each today. Hope all is well with them. As both sexes are alike they could be different birds and one is sitting already. Hope so. So windy today I think the little coaltit have got split up. Also definite pair of greenfinches. And if I see 1 dunnock there's also another close by. Two pairs of adult blackbirds maybe nesting in some very thick ivy. As far as I can tell no one using our nest boxes though. We have 1 robin type, , 1 sparrow 3 box terrace and 2 tit boxes, 1 with blue tit sized hole & 1 with great tit hole. We have 4 pairs house sparrows as regular visitors. Out of all these pairs surely some will nest with us!
At the pool where I also have feeders the coots started to sit on their nest on 30th March. They continue to add to this nest. One will carry huge twigs (branches almost) right across the pool, then dump it at the edge of the already large nest, whilst the sitting coot either looks disdainful or sets about incorporating the new "present". Depends who's sitting I suppose. Coots are so often overlooked as being too common to be interesting, and also rather aggressive but I find them fascinating and endlessly amusing. Perhaps this is as there is only a pair at the pool, plus 1 pair moorhens and 1 pair mallards. So they can really be studied. Coots are such good parents as well, sharing in incubation sitting and caring for young. As there's so little competition on the pool they're not very aggressive either as the three species rarely clash. If they do I have to admit the coots usually win, even against the bigger mallards. But I just love 'em. Hence my forum name!
NotQuiteBlackCoot is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Caroline

Yesterday I had 2 Song Thrushes outside my window making a huge commotion and (although I'm pretty new to bird watching) I'm sure that one was a youngster shouting at Mum to feed it more quickly. I never actually saw food being passed and I though it was too early to have babies around yet, but this little chap was fluffier than mum with a bigger mouth so......?
Caroline is offline     Reply With Quote