Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 1st May 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
kittieconnor

Default Do Golden Eagles gather in flocks?

I live near Ullapool in the Highlands of Scotland and we often get golden eagles fly over the house and out towards the sea. Today I watched a golden eagle fly out (confirmed sighting) and then about 30 minutes later it came back (I think the same one) - but all of a sudden there were about 8 other birds of the same size gliding together (harmoniously). They were too far away and too high up to see any markings - so I suppose I am assuming it was the eagle again. We do get other large birds ... buzzards/ ravens but they really did seem so big and dark that I would be prepared to say they were eagles. Any help would be appreciated, whatever it was has really delighted me.
kittieconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Penna

Default Golden Eagle

Good question
My first reaction would be no, they do not flock.
I considered migration and food source, but I would doubt very much that you would see a flock of Eagles up there in Ullapool, especially as there were 8/9 birds, I am not 100% sure about this but I can find no record of flocks of Golden Eagles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have stayed in a cottage in Achiltibuie which I am sure you will know, sadly I was only there for a week and tho' I did a fair bit of searching your Golden Eagles eluded me. absolutely stunning area, I loved it up there. beautiful countryside.
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:27 AM   #3
kittieconnor

Penna, thanks so much for your reply. I am sure you are right, I am really baffled but still excited by it. I know Achiltibue very well, in fact a lot of people think our road is the turning for it, but it the next one along. Sorry you didn't see any eagles, we are very lucky here. I have seen a mother with 2 eaglets often and also we have a sea eagle. Thanks again for your help.
kittieconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 09:04 PM   #4
ScopsOwl

Smile

Hi Kittie

You might have been seeing Buzzards, as they like to flock together in groups and circle in the sky for hours on end

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote