Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 22nd October 2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Nature__Lover

Default birds don't use my birdbath? :S

I have had a birdbath for ages in the same spot in the garden now.
it is very rare for a bird to even come to drink, never mind bathe!
I look at other peoples birdbath-pictures and they have 10 sparrows in at once!

I have scoured the internet and apparently the birdbath should be shallow,
and you could try putting a perching rock in the middle.
I did this and still no visitors.

my birdbath is always clean with fresh water. birds come to eat , so why not to drink and bathe?

this is the type of birdbath i have
http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdTables/Bird_bath.htm
Nature__Lover is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Hevva

I bought a large pottery one at a local fayre several years ago and it is in almost constant use every day. Sometimes as many as 8 or 9 starlings get in together and the sparrows sit on the edge and have a shower! The robin just lands straight in the middle of it and uses it at least twice a day.
Having said that, I recommended this birdbath to a friend who went and bought one identical to mine (at quite great expense too!) and he said that he had never seen a bird in his although, like mine, it was placed very close to the feeding station. So the mystery remains, it's obviously not the material its made from, or the location.
Perhaps your birds are some of the 'great unwashed' !!!!!
Hevva is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Beebee

I have one very similar to that Nature Lover except mine has a bird figure in the middle of the bath (I think I got it from Argos, the one they have now has a bird feeder in it). I fill mine slightly more than the one in the picture, roughly to where the darker mark is on the right hand side of the bath in your picture. I have seen Starlings bathing in it but not the Sparrows, they do however stand around the side and drink from it. I have a 10" plant pot saucer with about 2cm of water in for the smaller birds to bathe in, not that I have seen them use it for bathing though.
Beebee is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Nature__Lover

hmm.. it is a mystery.

what I have discovered though is...... they use the rather murky pond-water to bathe in!!

We haven't cleaned it yet because frogs are still in it.
blackbirds and starlings stand in the middle (where there is a sitting/perching rock)
and bathe!

I wonder what the frogs think.....
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Nature__Lover

-maybe they prefer it because it looks more natural? ivy grows up the sides and there are rocks and things. (it is only about 2 foot wide and 2 foot long though!! )
Old 13th November 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
featheredfriend

Where have you positioned the bath ? Some birds are reluctant to use a bird bath if it's in an open area with no cover close by. I have a cheap plastic one which is always in use. I have it near to their feeding station which is by a dense shrub. This way they can dash for cover quickly if they need to. Try moving it near a shrub or tree and see if that makes any difference.
featheredfriend is offline     Reply With Quote