Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > General Bird & Wildife Talk

General Bird & Wildife Talk Say hello & talk about your Garden Wildlife

Old 23rd March 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
ScopsOwl

Smile A short walk today, around Putnoe Nature Reserve

Hi there

Just been for a short walk today in our local nature reserves (Putnoe Nature Reserve).
My OH and I decided to go for a hour or so around the Putnoe Nature Reserve, and see if anything interesting was around to look at. We found some interesting sightings for us anyway as birders go

The weather has gone downhill as the morning wore on. It has started to rain, and the 'cold' wind was making its presence known to us, as we made our way around the reserve. Still the birds where in full, singing mode at least. There where songs coming in all directions and we had to listen to work what songs belonged to what birds - not an easy task at all.
The Green Woodpeckers where 'yaffling' as we walked around the Reserve, What made us stop in our tracks was the Green Woodpeckers hammering at the tree trunks, and the echoing of pounded wood ricocheted of all corners of the woodland. Must be the time of year for all the Woodpecker activity. This small Reserve has lots of dead trees still upright, and the Woodpeckers love this type of environment. We could see lots of holes in trunks of trees to prove it.
The hammering nosies where so interesting to listen to, but the moment we looked up it was although the hammering had moved further away so it was very hard to pinpoint where the bird in question was situated at all.

Lots of little birds flitted about all over the place although they where playing follow my leader. Lots of Bluetits, Robins and Blackbirds flew about in all directions.
Then we both stopped in our tracks when some movement occured in some bushes close by. We first thought we saw a Goldcrest, but no it was a Firecrest (two of them) in close harmony, twittering to one another, like they wanted to keep in communication with each other through the tree canopy. We stood all of 5 minutes studying them. They are just the most enchanting bird to see. This is when I wish I had a better camera but never mind - the time will come that it will happen that way.
A Dog walker walked past us, and the Firecrests where gone in a flash. Too much disturbance from the dog crashing about - never mind!

We continued our stroll to see if we could see any more interesting birds up in the trees. Then my OH saw a Thrush, then two Thrushes busy looking for food under some fallen branches in the undergrowth.
We had another look and could see it was two Redwings as the eye marking just gave it away. Again it was fortunate that they stayed put for a while we looked at them through the binoculars. Great bird to see as I have never seen one in real life until today

I was over the moon and my OH has never seen a Firecrest before (I have once at Grafham). So we have added two birds to our list of spotted birds.
It is amazing, and it proves that you never need to go far, and still find some interesting birds to look at. We where lucky in a sense the birds stayed still for a long time so we had a good look at them. That chance was in our favour too.

Usually it is more of a fleeting glance but today was our day to see our subject to the best of our ability, without too much moving about too much.

Good day for our birding!

Must go for another visit to the same Reserve, and see if any more interesting birds make their appearance for us as it is the right time of year now with all the nesting that is going on at the moment.

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 23rd March 2009 at 03:30 PM.
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Jimbo

It sounds as though you had a fabulous day Kathy, and two new birds to add to your list, that's a great result.
I've never seen a firecrest, goldcrest, redwing or a woodpecker so I guess I have a long way to go to catch you up.
Yes, the weather certainly took a turn for the worst again today, more of the same to come too, brrr, just when you think it's safe to go out...:-)
Jimbo is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 01:13 AM   #3
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
It sounds as though you had a fabulous day Kathy, and two new birds to add to your list, that's a great result.
I've never seen a firecrest, goldcrest, redwing or a woodpecker so I guess I have a long way to go to catch you up.
Yes, the weather certainly took a turn for the worst again today, more of the same to come too, brrr, just when you think it's safe to go out...:-)
hi Jimbo

Thank you, my OH and I was lucky, and just to see two birds we have not seem at all and one rarety, was a great thing and it made our day today. I just wish it was not so wet and windy though.

The Firecrests will be on many a birders listing and they would love to see it. We where just lucky to be in the right place at the right time for their appearance.

Your turn will come Jimbo, Goldcrests are getting easier to spot They are becoming a bit more adapted to using the bird feeders these days. The Redwings, like Fieldfares can be a dark horse with feeders but you never know what you will find in your back garden these days.

We saw two Goldcrests in the bracken undergrowth at Sandy RSPB Reserve headquarters a few weeks ago and that was something else to see. They flitted about and really did not show much concern for any human presence being near them at all.

The Green Woodpecker will only feed from your lawn/garden as it eats insects unlike the Great SW which love nuts and fat from the feeders. You will know that i am sure, but it is seeing them doing what comes naturally to them in natural setting which makes it a joy to watch them. So take each day as it comes and you never know what tomorrow brings.

Of course going out to a favourite patch close to where you stay, helps too, as it add to the enjoyment too.
Old 24th March 2009, 04:08 PM   #4
ScopsOwl

Smile A short walk today, around Putnoe Nature Reserve (Part2)

Hi there

My other half, and I decided to do back to the same place today for another look around Putnoe Wood for any more bird activitiy.
We live so close so it is convenient for us to get there quite easily. The sun was out and the weather was not to bad so it was an improvment over yesterday.

No luck with the Firecrest today, but we did see one or two Goldcrests instead. There seemed to be lots of groups of Tits flitting around so all we could do is keep our eyes peeled for any activiity from any other birds that many may have joined the Tits at all. There is always another day though to see those Firecrests once more - fingers crossed.

We where lucky to see a male and female Bullfinch in a nearby tree. The Male Bullfinch was eating something, and disposed of the remains of what he was eating. The female was closeby him sitting on the nearby branch of the same tree.

There was a lot of Woodpecker activity going on. Lots hammering coming in all directions, including hammering from a tree next to me, as I walked by the same tree near the golf course. We could see Great Spotted Woodpeckers moving around Tree trunks and Green Woodpeckers flying away from us but never towards us.

Lots of calls from Nuthatches, and a few viewings of Tree Creepers moving up, and around the trunks of trees at the speed that they do.
A lot of noisy interaction between a group of Goldfinches in the nearby conifers, but no sightings. A couple of ChiffChaff's made their distinguished calls to each other through through the trees,

A few Woodpigeons, and Crows flew overhead. A fleeting glance of a Jay which I have never seen before and Stock Doves flew overhead. Another two birds to add to the bird lists.

The usual birds such as Blue tits, Great tits, Coal Tits, Long tail tits, Robins, Blackbirds, and Chaffinches made their presence known in the woods. There was a lot more bird song than there was yesterday so there was an improvement in the bird sightings today.

So we are tempted to go for another walk tomorrow, and se what we manage to find once more.

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 24th March 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 25th March 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
ScopsOwl

Smile A short walk today, around Putnoe Nature Reserve (Part3)

Another walk to our favourite patch today. Weather was not in our favour today.

We did our circuit a couple of times, and I have to say it was very blustery, sunny, rainy and then dull today. The shelter of the wood was better for us to be able to bird watch.

There was lots of creaking and groaning of trees and we walked through. The birds where a little more sparse than yesterday because of the high winds, but we where determined to make the best of the time there, so we did our regular circuit of the woods.

There was lots of Woodpeckers hammering trunks of trees making a lot of noise from all ends of the woods. I could hear the Yaffling of the Green Woodpeckers, and the more sedate vocals of the Great Spotted Woodpecker, but no sightings today of either. The density of the undergrowth and the Trees themselves made it difficult to see any movement at all for most of our walk.
A few Crows cawed and Woodpigeons , and Stock Pigeons moved around high up in the canopy of trees.
A Wren make a lot of alarm calls from nearby long grass and it was so well hidden from view.

We could hear groups of Goldfinches twittering in the tall evergreen trees nearby. This was a regular sound to us in 2 or 3 areas we walked by. They seemed to co-exist in groups close to other finches like Greenfinches, and Chaffinches. Many finches flitted about from tree to tree chasing one another.
There where lots of Great Tits and Blue Tits and they liked to sit in the branches right above our heads although they where watching us, watching them.

At one point we spent a good few minutes, listening and watching a lone Goldcrest flitting about the ivy laden trunks of trees. It seemed to be oblivious of our presence and moved about the Ivy no doubt in the hunt for food.
A Male Chaffinch sat on the branch closeby the Goldcrest.

There where so many Robins sitting on branches singing I lost track of how many we could hear and see. A Male Blackbird takes some berries from one of the nearby bushes and moves on quickly. At the same time I could hear some hooting type noises coming from the nearby hedge on the track up to the Golf course.

At first I thought the noises from the Hedge where that of an Owl. So we crept up and stood still to see a Female Sparrowhawk. It flew from the same hedge in the opposite direction and into the fields, and did a circle to land back in the same Hedge. This is where we managed to ID it. Bright yellow eye and a long tail. Fabulous to see. We though all the noises it was making might have been to the bird calling its mate or something else. Not sure about that. The call where very sharp and almost like the bird sounded in distress. No doubt someone will explain the reason why?

As we aimed towards home we could see flocks of Finches, and Tits moving along the Hedgerow 2 or 3 Long Tail Tits moved about. What beautiful little birds that they are too.

Just a nice way to spend an hour or two and very enjoyable too. must do this more often now.
Old 28th March 2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Jandy

The Putnoe reserve sounds wonderful, Kathy, and I envy you for being near to it. Is it in fact in Bedford itself? I tried to track it down on Google, and only came up with a Putnoe Lane in Bedford.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 12:01 PM   #7
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
The Putnoe reserve sounds wonderful, Kathy, and I envy you for being near to it. Is it in fact in Bedford itself? I tried to track it down on Google, and only came up with a Putnoe Lane in Bedford.
Hi Jandy

Thank your for your kind comment

I have posted link to you and you will see how small the Reserve is. It is next to Mowsbury Golf Course. You can see the Golf Course while walking around the reserve itself.

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/GetResourc...Bedford%20.pdf

The area si situated in is on the edge of Bedford itself, so that is quite good in the sense that there not lots of people using the area for their walks.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Hi Jimbo

Thank you for your kind comments everyone

Yes, seeing all those birds in one day was something else. All this week has been a birding heaven to me and my OH. There where others birds to see, too but it was their calls that where noticeable like the Buzzard and the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. There was a presence of Stock Doves too (we have Stock doves feeding in our back garden now)

Got a sizable list of birds now and the list is only getting longer and stronger.

I have been birding on a grand scale for the last two years and I feel it has taken all that time (with all the interruptions I have had all the way) to get more tuned into species. Loved birds/wildlife all my life on top of that.
When I first started I carried a bird book around but now I can visually guess what they are (or carry a note book around to do some light sketching of a species so I remember what it looked like).
I have been told it takes 5 years to really know your birds.

It simply takes a lot of practice, and studying to work out which species is which. I am in the process of getting used to their songs/calls now and that is another whole book of learning.

Just lots of practice, Jimbo that is the way to do it. A short walk and lots of bird watching helps too.

The weather is supposed to be really nice on Sunday and very sunny on Monday so looking forward to another Birding trip out to one of my local patches once more.

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 31st March 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 31st March 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Jandy

Thanks, Kathy, for your info re Putnoe Reserve/Mowsbury Park. I have traced it on the OS map to the northern edge of Bedford. Sounds a lovely spot, and right next to open countryside too.
Jandy is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:14 PM   #10
ScopsOwl

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy View Post
Thanks, Kathy, for your info re Putnoe Reserve/Mowsbury Park. I have traced it on the OS map to the northern edge of Bedford. Sounds a lovely spot, and right next to open countryside too.
Hi Jandy

Thank you for your reply

I am pleased that you found out more about the Reserve itself. It is small, and takes 30 mins to walk a circuit around it. So it shows the size of the place. It is small but full of wildlife and birds.
The large public park next to Putnoe Nature Reserve, is a lot larger than the Putnoe Wood Reserve. Better for dog walkers in my view (the dog walkers use the Reserve, so it is full of unruly dogs barking the whole place down grrr...)

Yes it is next to the open Countryside. A walk in the right direction, takes 10 minutes for me to walk in to the countryside, and lots of open space fill of public walks.

It is nice where I live, and I love staying here (for two years) it had been heaven. Love it and that is the way it is at the moment.

Do you know Bedford at all?

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 4th April 2009 at 03:10 PM.