Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Caring for other Garden Wildlife

Caring for other Garden Wildlife There's more to garden wildlife than Birds

Old 18th July 2011, 07:36 AM   #1
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Default Car Casualties

Hello

I was driving to CJs this morning around the narrow country lanes when the car in front of my hit a Partridge . It was still alive on the road and looked shocked but somewhat alert (this was also a lane with a high verge so no hedge to place into out of the way of further traffic) so I scooped it up in the old sheet I keep in the car and headed on into work hoping that in a few hours it would perk up and be on its way.

Sadly, not the case

It didn't even occur to me at the time to leave it where it was and drive away but what are your thoughts? Better to leave it be and let nature take its course or do what you can to help and give it the best chance?
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Penna

Was it a Red legged or Grey Partridge Lisa? Common are very rare down here in the south east unless you know exactly where to look.

If it was me I was try and evaluate its chances then act solely on that, in most cases I would probably let nature take its course, *this can a tough old dilemma.*

So why do you keep a sheet in your car then Lisa?
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

I am not 100% sure which it was I'm afraid Penna.

I have left animals before when it is clear nothing can be done but in this case there were no clear signs of external damage and she had her head up and was looking around. It is very hard to drive away and not know if you could have made a difference.

I always carry a spare sheet in the car, as I have to drive along many narrow country roads to get to work each morning, injured animals are unfortunately a common occurrence at the roadside and I like to be prepared to be able to help if I can. I also have a 6 month old puppy who's tummy isn't quite used to the car yet so whilst I have a sheet on the back seat for her, its always good to have a back up available !
Old 18th July 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Penna

"It is very hard to drive away and not know if you could have made a difference"

Absolutely agree, a case of *head or heart* Lisa.

Great idea about the car sheet, (tho' slightly disappointed with the reason as I was hoping for some gossip) in my experience dogs either hate being in a car or love it. My last doggy would simply whinge all the time in the car, we once decided to try and have a weekend away with him and all through the journey he never shut up. so we didn't try it again.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

No gossip I'm afraid

Our older dog, Scrabble, LOVES the car. Our puppy, Jess, hasn't made her mind up yet. She gets a little nervous but I think seeing that Scrabble loves it so much is helping, she has started sitting up and looking out the window now she is a little bigger.

They only go in the car when we are taking them to play in the woods or swim in the lake so I think she is learning that going in the car usually means pending fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16062011710.jpg (257.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 18th July 2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Penna

Super looking doggies, I would guess that Jess would be happier as Scrabble enjoys the time out.
Sadly we lost our old dog a couple of years ago and as yet have not taken the decision to get another.....maybe one day.....
Old 18th July 2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Sorry to hear that Penna.

Turns out my Partridge was in fact a female Pheasant mid-molt which is why she looked small and why i wrongly assumed Partridge!
Old 18th July 2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Penna

Ah! a Pheasant, hundreds of these birds are killed on the lanes around here, there are three or four shoots in the area so the Pheasant population is huge.
This doesn't mean that you get used to seeing these poor birds squashed in the middle of the road. I think driving a little slower would be a good idea.
It is strange that the local game keepers complain how our increasing Buzzard population is bad for there living but many hundreds of birds are being killed out of the shooting season on the roads.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
chilternbirder

Pheasants are devils for flying out of the hedgerow at radiator level. Sadly I have killed several over the years. Partridges just run away, usually directly away from the car leaving you following them at about 2mph.

Its been a bad time for badgers around here recently, unfortunately from the rear a badger just looks like a bundle of old sacking in the headlights.
chilternbirder is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:20 PM   #10
ScopsOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilternbirder View Post
Pheasants are devils for flying out of the hedgerow at radiator level. Sadly I have killed several over the years. Partridges just run away, usually directly away from the car leaving you following them at about 2mph.

Its been a bad time for badgers around here recently, unfortunately from the rear a badger just looks like a bundle of old sacking in the headlights.
So agree, that Pheasants are not the brighest sparks at the best of times, and are not very road wise.

More to the point, Lisa, what is the outcome of your unfortunate Pheasant?

Love your dogs too!!!

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote