Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 16th April 2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Unhappy

Hi Robinredbreast

I remember my first trip to Hampton court about 5 or 6 years ago and saw a handful of Parakeets, went back a few years later and they were everywhere, and the noise (!) but I do love Hampton Court - the palace is gorgeous but I especially love the Italian Caffe La Fiamma, I love having tea there after a long day working on the CJ stand at the Flower Show and watching the Deer in Bushy Park.

In case you want to give them a try, we relaunched our Guardians a couple of years ago and these were resized to limit access to Parakeets specifically to help our customers in the South-East who had started to report that they were having problems with them pilfering food from feeders. The spaces in the cage were reduced nd the diameter of the cage was increased so that they couldn't reach through to the ports quite so easy. Might be worth a go if they are limiting what you are able to put out for your smaller garden birds? http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...d=2&nav_id=147
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 08:01 AM   #12
crissie

First of all how lucky you are to live in such a nice area.
I do feel for you regarding the parakeets, hence my post, "I'd like to see them but then they could go again."
What about taking your feeders down for say two weeks, then trying again and perhaps the British birds will come back and it may be enough to fool the "green birds" into not bothering anymore.
If your neighbors are having the same problem you could all try this at the same time.
It makes you wonder what the future will bring doesn't it.
crissie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Robinredbreast

Thanks Lisa

Actually I am about 3 miles or so from HC but they fly across the park and the river and have now moved in to this whole area. It does not matter where you go, even to the supermarket you can hear their distinctive squawking up above and are now becoming as common as pigeons.

I do actually have a Defender which I use on the peanut feeder on my second station. My other station has a squirrel dome so I tend not to put defenders on the feeders there. I have to say the birds that do come ignore the Defender because its easier to go to the others. But you have given me an idea......if I get another defender to put cobbled hearts in, that hopefully will attract more birds but keep out the Parakeets. Presumably a Defender seed feeder is what I need? That will be good for cobbled hearts and sunflower seeds?
Robinredbreast is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Penna

"I do actually have a Defender which I use on the peanut feeder on my second station"

I am not 100% what you mean by *defender*

Do you mean the guardian ? http://www.birdfood.co.uk/products.p...d=2&nav_id=147

If you have a CJ seed feeder you can purchase a Guardian cage that will fit over it.

Another feeder that may help is the "Clinger" http://www.livingwithbirds.com/birdf...ecial-feeders/

I have not tested it with the Ring Necked as we have yet to get them in this area, it is purposely designed to keep bigger birds off.
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Lisa
Marketing Co-ordinator
CJ WildBird Foods

Hi Robinredbreast

Assuming by Defender you are referring to a Guardian (apologies for the confusion, our metal feeders without the extra cage used to be branded as CJ Wildlife Defender feeders which I expect is why Penna has also raised the question), then yes a seed version for feeding hearts and other seeds is what you need.

If you have a CJ Wildlife seed feeder already, you can just purchase the cage to fit on to them, alternatively we have Guardian Seed Packs which are complete with cage and feeder and we also have our popular Adventurer Guardian range with the wider seed feeder.

In the last couple of years we have also launched 2 new Guardian cages which you can use with our peanut cake tubes (both sizes), peanut cake squares, fat balls and suet pellets so you can offer your birds a varied menu whilst keeping those cheeky Parakeets at bay. If you are interested, they are the first 2 items on this page.

Hope that helps but if you have any more questions let me know.

Regards
Lisa is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:51 PM   #16
liferjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinredbreast View Post
I have to say the birds that do come ignore the Defender because its easier to go to the others.
You're not wrong there! Birds will always use the feeders they feel most comfortable on, guardians will often, though sometimes only initially, put them off. Unfortunately if you want to stop the parakeets the guardians are the best option, though the RSPB do offer a Cheater Nut Feeder which is designed to keep the Parakeets off! There isn't an alternative for seeds yet, though the 'Clingers Only' that Penna suggested is a good one! Otherwise you simply have to persevere with the Guardians and the birds will eventually get use to them, especially if there are no other options! Good luck.
liferjoe is offline     Reply With Quote