Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Say Hello

Say Hello New Member? Feel free to introduce yourself - say a few lines about yourself & where you live

Old 11th April 2012, 06:55 PM   #1
torska

Default Hello from Norway

During winter many people are feeding birds, but they stop when the snow melts away. I want to continue, even through the summer.

What are the right wiev?

Torska
torska is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by torska View Post
During winter many people are feeding birds, but they stop when the snow melts away. I want to continue, even through the summer.

What are the right wiev?

Torska
Hi Torska and welcome,
Over here in Britain most people feed their birds all year, without doubt it is the right thing to do.
Birds will always need a back-up supply of food ( especially for their young) during the breeding season and in the late summer months.
The only food you should be careful about is whole peanuts, these should always be in a recommended peanut feeder.
Enjoy your birds.
Allan.
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
torska

Penna, thanks, that is my wiev, and I will follow your advice. On Facebook I am active in a group called "Fuglevenner", and you find me as "Tor Skauli". I have already copied your link to the group.

bw Torska
Old 13th April 2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Rowena

welcome Torska! we are very pleased you have joined the forum and look forward to more posts soon!
Penna is right, we recommend feeding birds all year round too. In winter the birds need lots of high energy food so try fat products like suet bars and cakes . . . and dont forget to provide fresh water, especially in the summer when it is hot. some birds also exclusively feed on seeds so would need to drink water naturally.
hope this helps!
Rowena
Rowena is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
crissie

Yes the RSPB recommends feeding all year round, its obvious why you should feed in winter but spring and summer are equally important.
Temporary food shortage can occur at almost any time of the year, and if this happens during the breeding season, extra food on your bird table can make a big difference to the survival of young.
Birds time their breeding period to exploit the availability of natural foods: earthworms in the case of blackbirds and song thrushes, and caterpillars in the case of tits and chaffinches. It is now known that if the weather turns cold or wet during spring or summer, severe shortage of insect food can occur, and if the weather is exceptionally dry, earthworms will be unavailable to the ground feeders because of the hard soil.
During the summer months, birds require high protein foods, especially while they are moulting. By feeding the birds all year round, you'll give them a better chance to survive the periods of food shortage whenever they may occur.

Here is a link to the subject at RSPB website....
http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpin...hentofeed.aspx
crissie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
torska

Default Feeding the birds year round

Many thanks for your answer and the link. I have kopied it to my friends in FB group "Fuglevenner" and have already got som "Likes"!

Torska
Old 15th April 2012, 01:35 PM   #7
crissie

Hi Torska,
You are welcome, Its admirable how you are encouraging people to follow the correct path. well done.
crissie is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Peggo

Hi Torska

Feeding all year round as everyone says is the best idea. It lets the birds know that there is always food available in your garden. You get to see them and they also bring their young along once they have fledged. Also, although most young are fed invertebrates, the parents can still eat food from feeders if invertebrates are in short supply for some reason.

Cheers...
Peggo is offline     Reply With Quote