Go Back   CJ Wildlife Online Forums > CJ Wildife Forums > Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths

Bird Food, Bird Feeders, Bird Tables & Bird Baths Questions, Answers & General Discussion on Bird food, Feeders, tables & bird baths

Old 15th March 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
lesley167

Default Are roasted monkey nuts ok for garden birds?

Hi

I was looking for some monkey nuts to thread for the birds but all I could find were 'roasted' ones. Are these ok to put out?

thanks
lesley167 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Penna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley167 View Post
Hi

I was looking for some monkey nuts to thread for the birds but all I could find were 'roasted' ones. Are these ok to put out?

thanks
I would say not Lesley, the RSPB sat that Salted or dry roasted peanuts should not be used.

I would just use a peanut feeder with shop brought peanuts.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (148.5 KB, 3 views)
Penna is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
ScopsOwl

Quote:
Hi

thanks
I agree with Penna, Lesley - not to put out any roasted or toasted nuts of any types.

You can buy ordinary peanuts - Monkey nuts - in their beige shells, which have not been tampered with. (I see that Tesco sell them in bags in the fruit and veg area)

I have strung Monkey Nuts up onto a thin piece of string in the past, placed them hanging from a branch and the Tits just love them. It gives the birds a bit of a challenge how to get the nuts out of the shells.

Regards
Kathy
x
ScopsOwl is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 05:35 PM   #4

But you can roast them in their shells - I think perhaps these are what lesley 167 was referring to. You don't need to add salt.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...1024511AAucGV3
4711 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 01:29 PM   #5
ScopsOwl

IMHO, I feel that Monkey nuts are better left in their natural state.

Simply buy Monkey Nuts and string them onto threads of string, and hang them from a branch or other support for a great bit of 'bird' entertainment.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited by ScopsOwl; 20th March 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 08:59 AM   #6
lesley167

The nuts I bought were unsalted, I put them out anyway and within half an hour the squirrels came along and took the whole lot!! I've now found some ordinary ones and hope that the squirrels will leave them alone but I very much doubt it!! thanks
lesley167 is offline     Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
ScopsOwl

Quote:
The nuts I bought were unsalted, I put them out anyway and within half an hour the squirrels came along and took the whole lot!! I've now found some ordinary ones and hope that the squirrels will leave them alone but I very much doubt it!! thanks
Hi Lesley

Sorry to hear about your Squirrel. That is one character that are not welcome in my garden... they are like the plague to me... though some people do not seen to mind them.

Bird food costs me a lot of money (like we all pay for) - spent 53.00 last weekend alone, and the Squirrels eat what they can - so all Grey Squirrels get shouted at, soaked with water, and other things that can be used. It knows that it is not welcome.
On the other hand, a Red squirrel is always welcome as it is a native species in the Uk - but rare in England (had a few on my feeders in Scotland and they are very endearing)

One thing I never put out loose are peanuts, and I keep them in a feeder that the Squirrels have problem accessing...best way.

Sorry a little off topic here..back to peanuts.

Regards
Kathy
x
Old 14th April 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
crissie

The magpies and jays love the whole peanuts in shells (natural ones) and will often take the whole shell to fly off with.
All the tits like them too and its amazing just how quickly the tits can get into the shell and take a nut away with them, delightful viewing.

I find it a great way to feed nutritious nuts by hanging them on a fine piece of string.
I place nuts in feeders too but find they can go mouldy quickly in the wet/damp weather.
As a previous poster said, they can be found in tescos in the fresh produce isle and are a very cheap way of feeding considering you only need to string about six up at a time.
crissie is offline     Reply With Quote